A washable facemask or cover for an N95 or surgical mask. This is the mask I describe making in my By Jeeni blog. I have been making them to give away to anyone who needs a mask. A recent study, conducted by a team of scientists in Hong Kong, found the rate of non-contact transmission through respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by as much as 75 percent when masks were used.
Wearing a mask is the responsible, unselfish thing to do and I want to do my part to make it easy for people to act like mature adults. At first, using fabric and elastic I had on hand, or was donated, I have been asking those who can afford it, in exchange for 2 masks, to make a donation to a non-profit helping people through the COVID-19 crisis. Now that it looks like masks are going to be an ongoing part of our attire, I am making them with beautiful cotton fabric I’ve purchased from Loralie Designs. I can still donate my time, but I need to cover my costs. You can purchase up to 4 masks at a time for a minimum of $5 per mask. If you can afford to pay more, for every mask purchased for $10 or more, I will make a mask for someone who can’t afford to pay for it. The goal is to get as many people as possible wearing masks, and to make the masks attractive so people want to wear one. Shipping is free in the United States. I am unable to ship internationally at this time.
- Masks can be laundered in hot water;
- You can insert an N95, a surgical mask, or a filter between the outside and inside layers for added protection;
- The fabric is a luxuriously soft, 100% cotton that is comfortable to wear for hours while providing an effective barrier to virus transmission;
- There are no seams in the mask area that could allow the virus to penetrate, I designed it to use a center pleat to accommodate the shape of your face;
- The design encases the chin;
- A pliable nose wire and elastic loops that fit over the ears, keep the mask comfortably in place;
- Secure the bottom of the mask at your neck with ties, allowing you to temporarily remove the mask from your ears while still conveniently “wearing” it for periods when you don’t need the protection.
- Where it is essential that the N95 makes a gapless seal with the skin and the N95 will need to be used for an extended period, the Cyrsalis mask could be worn over the N95 (rather than the N95 being inserted inside the Chrysalis mask) to will protect the outside of the N95 from getting soiled.
- Choose from a beautiful selection of fabric designs.